AWA Initial Leadership Training – Ontario
The AWA Workshop Leadership Training is a five-day intensive course in the AWA method. This training will prepare you to lead writing workshops for the general population and for traditionally silenced people in places such as public housing, shelters, hospitals or prisons.
The AWA Workshop Leadership Training is a five-day intensive course in the AWA method. The guidelines and practices that shape AWA writing workshops are quite specific, and the leader’s in-depth understanding of them is vitally important to the effectiveness of the group. This training will prepare you to lead workshops for the general population and for traditionally silenced people in places such as public housing, shelters, hospitals or prisons. In addition to the specific AWA practices, skills that will be taught include:
- Creating and maintaining a safe and hospitable writing environment.
- Choosing effective writing exercises and prompts.
- Being a clear, supportive leader.
- Running workshops as a business.
- Understanding the transformative power of the method.
- Structuring the writing workshop to accommodate the needs of diverse people.
- Understanding essential differences between writing for healing and therapy.
- Inviting experimentation and growth in participants’ writing.
AWA Workshop Leadership is taught through writing sessions, talks by experienced leaders, group discussion, role playing, film, and guest speakers, giving participants a full experience of the AWA method in action. Upon completion of the training, participants will have a thorough understanding of the AWA method, our practices and guidelines, and will be able to convey them effectively to their workshop members.
For further information about the trainings and an application, please go to the AWA site or leave a comment in the box below.
September 15th, 2011 9:00 AM through September 19th, 2011 2:00 PM
Location: Roches Point, ON, Canada